PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 1st Feb 2016, 02:15
Left 270

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't done the course but I have read all of Deakin's info as well as a lot of others. What seems to be missed by the pilots who haven't read up is that it really has nothing to do with LOP, but correct mixture settings as a whole. I have never ran LOP and unless I end up an owner I'm never likely to.

But, now having the knowledge I operate ROP in a much safer way, I know when to, and how much to lean by and understand why a blanket rule of 50F ROP CAN be abusive to the engine. I have an understanding of what the needles are trying to tell me (yep, those unreliable single point ones, but if it's all you have then it's the best that you can do), and if nothing else, I am now thinking about what the engine is going through after complying with my requested power/mixture settings, rather then setting 50F ROP religiously at all power settings/stages of flight/ conditions etc. So I think even if nothing's changed, because of company SOP etc, the understanding is priceless.