PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Goes Non-Stop Dubai-Auckland from March
Old 1st Feb 2016, 02:05
B-HKD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bvcu
any evidence the aux tanks were ever certified ? My understanding is they weren't and is a Boeing issue ? Anyone know of any in use on 777LR. ? 747 isn't relevant as a lot of other Boeing and Airbus types have the same tanks in the past .
Seriously? I hope the B777 FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet is enough "evidence"

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...01SE_Rev38.pdf

Page 21, Note: 10 (Just in case you think my screenshot is doctored )

Boeing has from day one, offered and continues to offer 1, 2 or 3 optional AUX tanks for the -200LR in its official B777 customer options catalogue.

EK is to date the only operator that purchased the the AUX tank option on the -200LR (1 AUX tank for EK). They knew what the aircraft was capable of from day one, and hence did not purchase the highest MTOW and removed the AUX tank upon delivery. No route to date has required the additional fuel volume or MTOW, and keeping the AUX tank in the hold all these years would have been countless wasted cargo space.

With a upcoming AKL launch they can if need be increase MTOW (on all 10), and re-fit the single AUX tank to the frames that were originally delivered with the tank and have the relevant plumbing (not retrofittable).