PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2016, 00:34
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Surely that is a more accurate way of deterring the crosswind limit and adding a safety buffer between that maximum ?
The "accuracy" during crosswind certification flight testing I have done, was the authority's insistence on really precise wind speed measurement at the time I flew the tests. Otherwise, it was simply could I do it, or not?

The most extreme crosswind test I have flown were both in Cessna Caravans. Happily, I well met the standard of "average skill" as I had less than 50 hours total time on Caravans for both test, so I could hardly be called "skilled" on type. One test was 38G45 knots, 40 degrees off the runway heading - which is "off the [Cessna] chart" for the Caravan. It seems to equate to about 32 knots direct crosswind, if I extrapolate Cessna's chart. This was coupled with the requirement that I fly full stall landings and takeoffs (tailstrike tests). There was a lot of chirping of wheels during that testing! I did reach and hold full pedal several times, so I knew I was close to the "limit" of my skill.

That made the subsequent test at 19G25 direct crosswind seem easier, but there was a huge keel affect change mod on the plane, and a snow covered runway, so wheels sliding was a concern.

In those conditions, my limited type skill told me not to apply lots of reverse, as that tends to blanket the rudder with turbulent air, which you really need to be working for you to as slow as possible!

Other types I have flown crosswind tests have given me to understand that by applying one's self, the "demonstrated" value should be manageable. I have certainly never thought to myself "wow, that would be hard to do!"