PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 23:43
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Thanks for the response, Danny. I now feel somewhat foolish of course, but greatly relieved as well. I seem to remember that Colonel Dan Dare was often required to advise his batman, "Steady, Digby!". Similarly with Jeff Morgan and Lemmy. So I'll try for steady, and as you say, Danny, let this wonderful thread do as it will.

If it is to fade away, so be it, but if so I for one will greatly miss it. It has been an inspiration from the start and I pay tribute to you and your fellow raconteurs. It is an historic document in its own right and will serve aviators for many years to come who wonder, "How on earth did they train so many in such a short time?"

Oh, and thanks for the two-penneth about interdiction. Yes, I can see the point about killing the loco. Line blocked and one less to contend with, etc. Particularly important before and after D-Day when the disruption to the French railways seriously compromised the Wehrmacht's ability to reinforce and supply their army. I'm not sure the same was true for the Luftwaffe's hit and run attacks on the Southern Railway in England, though. The system kept going, thanks to the Victorians' railway mania, for there was always another way round. The viaducts were a challenge, but when damaged were jury rigged speedily though not necessarily very aesthetically.

The Southern was always very proud of engine number 2365. It may have been irreparably damaged, but it hit back and destroyed its adversary, instead of the usual passive one-sided outcome. No doubt it was melted down to become a gun, or a tank, or both. Stirring times!