PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Demonstrated X wind a pointless figure ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 22:25
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you had had an accident on landing and killed a passenger, especially if it had been in the US: would the demonstrated cross wind number have featured and carried any weight in the subsequent law suit?
Jonzarno

This is the very point I am making! In my case it was flying into Denham and the wind was fairly steady and directly across.

Strangely I had little expectation of landing and was more expecting to go around back into the air.

It surprised me when it settled quite nicely onto the runway.
But your point is valid! If your aircraft has say a demonstrated 15 KTS do you decline an approach and landing because its 20 KTS?

If for any reason you mess up and go off the runway could that demonstrated figure be used against you for even 1 KT over?

Pilots can mess up below the demonstrated X wind limit as well as way above and damage the aircraft.

As demonstrated is way off the actual limit I wonder what the point is of having a demonstrated figure at all ? and what use it is to anybody

addendum

regarding the incident posted above ( Fokker 50) please note it states that they exceeded the OPERATORS limit not the manufacturers demonstrated X wind figure. maybe the two were the same maybe not

Maybe Ghengis can explain? As a limit set to a percentage of rudder authority at a given speed might be more accurate and meaningful

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 31st Jan 2016 at 22:43.