PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 12:05
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
JB:-
Focke-Wulf 190 downed by Railway Engine
Shooting up steam engines is a dangerous game, witness the fate of Heinz Bierwirth in this incident. I'm sure that Jack Stafford would have advised him to go for a train rather than an engine, but at the very least to try to avoid overflying it if he had to. The shrapnel involved from a bursting high pressure steam boiler would have rivalled anything that the Bismark or Tirpitz was capable of throwing at their adversaries. Mind you, the trains that Jack Stafford might go for had a nasty habit of including flat car mounted quadruple 20mm Flakvierling 38's, often in pairs. Very accurate and very dangerous, and certainly not emulated by the Southern Railway in WWII!

Incidentally, the LBSCR D3's are all gone now, along with so many other classes of that company. In a shameless plug for the Bluebell railway, it will soon boast a restored and unique LBSCR Marsh H2 Atlantic. Restored rather than new build as I understand that the Regulator handle is an original item.

Bluebell Railway Atlantic Group

My motive for this post was simply to keep our thread on the Military Forum front page, where it always belongs. My concern is that Danny 42C has always seen to that as our MC. Please check-in Danny to confirm Ops-Normal.