PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down off Pt Lonsdale
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 11:56
Best Rate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The year was 1991 and I was doing my RPPL at MB when we lost one of our privately owned aircraft in similar conditions and not all that far away from the Pathfinder's final descent...

It was Point Addis in fact, near Anglesea, and eerily enough, Tony Jacobs and family had departed King Island (against RPT AUS-AIR/KIA pilots' advice) and hit the horrendous rain squall near the coast at low level.

They were in their Beech Musketeer VH-UAS and I'll never forget the late great Robbie Spry walking over to the school to tell the CFI that he and JM were getting VH-FDF the SAR PA31 geared up for a search down there for one of our aircraft.

Sadly, as HA says, despite the forums, briefings, pub talk etc, folks will still periodically employ 'press-on-itis' instead of cashing out with the timely 180 or at least ensure an out at all times, especially when possibly at low-level and 'scud-running'.

I later attended the funeral for Tony and his family at Springvale (there opposite Sandown) and my CFI at the time asked that I lock the whole unpleasant memory away for future reminders of the need for careful weather analysis/enroute decision-making. It was a teary affair as Tony had strongly encouraged me to chase my aviation dreams as a keen, bushy-tailed youngster at the flying school. And they are still in my thoughts to this day...

RIP to the latest poor victims. Saw D&D at RVAC on the Dawn Patrol morning recently... Always friendly chaps.

Safe travels all,

BR