PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 09:30
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
TC

A superb post but just bear in mind we all have to go into the avoid curve ( dead mans curve, height velocity diagram, call it what you will) for many reasons.
Training for vertical take off and landing for instance with a ppl. Is it unsafe to go into the avoid curve ? Well like everything in life it is down to what we now call threat and error management or what is better called airmanship or perhaps better still common sense. Realistically the pilot is more likely to cock up the landing or take off in a vertical take off scenario than for the engine to actually stop. It is rare these days for engines to stop, biggest reason is running out of fuel !
At work I spend most of my day in the avoid curve lifting with a 50 ft line on the heli. Reason, it is safer for the ground crew and much quicker to hook 6 bags on to a carousel then on to a belly hook, ironically especially if the donk does give up !
I think with the standards of training these days where students aren't even taught to do EOL's to the ground let alone autos from close / inside the avoid curve most have no idea of the threats of operating inside the curve. Thus they don't actually realise the problems they are putting themselves in as they have a " it won't happen to me scenario as my instructor never showed me"
You have had the luxury like some of having had military training, not sure you have experienced the quality of training on the civvy side but I am afraid it can be woeful