PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mentoring new FO's and Captains
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2016, 08:07
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a Wild Thought...

"What is the objective of mentoring pilots?
How should we mentor new pilots to our airline but pilots who are not inexperienced?
How do we make this effort meaningful to those we are to mentor - how do we make it 'stick'
?

Well beyond my flying, I spent 30+ years teaching in a very different profession. I hope this helps...
Q1: What it the objective... I believe that the real objective to teaching the experts to Shut Up and Learn to listen. The senior should and must speak, but only after the junior has fully expressed him/herself. They may not enjoy our experience, but the vast majority are NOT fools. If their briefing or plan needs a tweak or two, hear them out fully and only then make a polite correction if necessary. Listen, think and only then comment.
Q2: See response to Q1. Shut up, listen and think before speaking. If experienced pilots need a little company-based redirection, listen first and you'll have a lot less teaching to do.
Q3: Give the mentors some space to respect the skills and knowledge that you pilot already holds. Listen (See Q1 and Q2) then think. In the end, it is far less work for the mentors, having to directly instruct what amounts to but a small 'differences' course. Let them Glow a little bit and they will Grow. Beat them and tell them tell them that they are WRONG, and they will do the minimum necessary to pass, hate the company and cancel the Critical Thinking switch in favor of qualification and continued employment. Which type of pilot do you want flying for your airline?