PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why not stabalise engines with brakes on?
Old 1st Jun 2001, 23:43
mutt

Top of the Morning to ya all.......

I'm trying to work out if Balerphon flies the space shuttle or a Cessna 150?

Considering that I shocked a number of pilots, I'm surprised at how few have actually come out and told me that our procedures are any different to those in use with other airlines???

John_Tullamarine

(b) Increasing thrust in the OEI case ? (posted 31 May 2001 06:35)
Although the takeoff calculation is based on the assumed temperature without the crew having to increase the takeoff thrust, the VMCG is based on the actual temperature for the rating in use in order to allow the crew the option of increasing the thrust.
(iii) Use of computer in lieu of AFM ?
Yep, this is the way to go, the digital version of the B744 AFM allows 4,000 - 6,000 kgs increase in takeoff weight from some hot/high airports (For exactly the same conditions). Yep thats right, 4-6,000 kgs for basically using a sharper pencil.

(b) The palmtop wins hands down ....(posted 01 June 2001 02:28)
We started looking at cockpit computer devices over 6 years ago, but I haven’t seen anything smaller than a laptop. Some of the devices that i have seen are in use with SAS, Fedex and BBJ operators. I have the BLT (Boeing Laptop Tool for BBJ's) loaded on this PC, so I will only pass comments on that.
The program gives you the option to calculate the takeoff weight at the actual temperature and the max assumed temperature. Depending on the aircraft/runway, this max assumed calculation may once again make you field length limited. This logic is also used for ACARS calculated takeoff performance, you get the option of actual or max.
SO while you may be shocked at the fact that our assumed temperature calculations create a field length limited situation, you are willing to accept portable computers that do exactly the same thing!
These devices do include obstacle data which is commercially available from companies such as Jeppesen and SITA.
Flanker used the word "Airmanship", well by using paper charts, crews have the ability to see the maximum reduced temperature (which may have made them field length limited), they can then decide to use a lower assumed temperature to increase their stopping buffer. I've spoken to IP's who say that they try to drop 3-5C off the max. Their ability and desire to do this creates a problem for our future plans to produce ACARS takeoff data.

Now its time for my Guinness factory tour, I wonder if they have intravenous packs.....

Mutt