PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 31st Jan 2016, 05:25
Lead Balloon

Received 427 Likes on 214 Posts
[A]llow me to suggest you learn the meaning of the word disinterested.
Thanks scavenger. I am very much aware of the denotation of the word "disinterested" (and that it is frequently misused instead of "uninterested").

The best way to lean the mixture, with eyes closed as Jabawocky claims is easy to teach, is to:

- in the case of an engine fitted with a CSU, lean until you feel the aircraft decelerate through the seat of your pants [I do this every flight], and

- in the case of an engine fitted with a fixed pitch prop, until the engine 'runs rough' or ceases producing power, and then enrich to remove the roughness or restore power.

The success of these techniques, and where each cylinder ends up on its lean curve, depends on the engine either having left the factory and being fitted in a way that the proper F/A mixture is delivered to each cylinder (a lottery, given the poor quality control of the manufacture of the components that determine these outcomes) or the engine having been set up that way, post-manufacture and fitment (an outcome that I would have thought would be desirable, instead of runnning the engine inefficiently or abusively to cover up the consequences of poor manufacture).