PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 31st Jan 2016, 02:24
scavenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Jabawocky in an earlier post:

I can teach anyone to fly safely LOP in under 5 minutes, more like 2-3 minutes including a briefing and demonstration. Mid 2013 during the Aust Womens Pilots conference in Hervey Bay, I took Kreisha Ballantyne, the editor from Australian Pilot flying over Fraser Island. I asked her to fly, and we departed YHBA climbed to 1500' and head rougly towards Lake Mackenzie. Once at 1500 and already over water, I gave a briefing on how to do it, with her eyes closed (1-2 seconds) she did it. This was all done and dusted before we reached the Island shores. She nailed it first go. Simple as that, even a girl can do it we joked! We did not need or use anything of the EMS, no lean find functions, nothing more than the human sensor pack and a 1-2 minute briefing.
To shut the naysayers up, could we get the explanation of how to fly LOP without instrumentation and with eyes shut?

From the same post:

One thing I and Mr Atkinson, Braly, Deakin and Denyer promise is that if someone is actually willing to learn and shows signs of being determined to learn, despite the strongly held beliefs we were all once taught, we will do our best to share the education. This is not at all about being in pi##ing contests.
A bit of education here on how to fly LOP without instrumentation and with eyes shut may go along way to preventing these stupid threads that pop up, funnily enough when there's a course on soon with a few spots left...