PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 30th Jan 2016, 22:32
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Leadie, I'm not spending my money and time to go on an APS course. I'll get zero benefit other than be able to possibly argue their point of view to all and sundry. I did read those pelican things years ago though. If anything I found them thought provoking rather than gospel. There's lots of information out on the web and published books about other aircraft and engines, also written by very experienced and technical people (development test crew), thought provoking too but still not gospel.

If however, I operate pistons again then maybe I'll look to build on what I learnt about piston engines all those years ago. But until then, zero benefit from an APS course.

Yes I was told things like "don't run over square" but I did it anyway. Why? Because that power setting is in the aircraft power chart! My engines have made TBO (and beyond) without the fancy equipment, so operating as per the AFM seems to be good enough!

There does also seem to be a bit of a demarcation between the private and the commercial operators here. Private owners don't exactly have to worry about fronting court for someone else operating outside of the approved procedures and crashing a plane/killing people!