PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why not stabalise engines with brakes on?
Old 1st Jun 2001, 00:37
Bellerophon

Wink

Hello J_T

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">We are obliged to leave a Load Sheet so there must be some sort of paperwork involved. From a practical point of view, it is very much easier and quicker to do a quasi-independent crosscheck manually.</font>
I was actually referring to producing the original load sheet, not cross checking one prepared by someone else, but either way it makes little difference. I can confidently say that on my aircraft type you won't find anyone who would agree with you. The palmtop wins hands down, both for accuracy, and especially speed, every time - obviously I wouldn't presume to speak for your aircraft type or company practices.

Why have the Captain read out the figures from the load sheet? It seems to be introducing scope for error. If they have misread a figure, chances are they may make the same mistake again when reading the figures to you. Better practice is surely to have the Captain hand over the load sheet and extract the figures yourself?

As you say data entry error is a problem, and one way of trying to minimise the problem is to have two people extract the data independently from the data source. We try to carry this philosophy further, and, for instance, hand over manuals closed, not open at the correct page - surprising how often the correct page isn't! We have learned (the hard way) that the more independent a cross check is, the more valuable it is.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">If the crew tries to figure a weight..from a combination of the declared data and eyeballing the surrounds...then the laptop will give only a much more accurately calculated wrong answer</font>
Absolutely agree - wouldn't dream of it. However the ability, perhaps during taxy out say, of being able quickly to factor in a change in wind, pressure or temperature to see if you are still below RTOW is very useful. If you are not, the reverse calculations, such as “at this weight what must the tailwind or temperature drop to before we can take off?”, are very much faster and easier on a computer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Never using derate ?...if there be no prohibition on derate, and that would be a little unusual</font>
No, we never derate. It is prohibited (there are reasons) and it may be unusual, but it sure is good fun! It was just jovial banter, aimed at PPRuNe Towers who gallantly refused to say anything so as not to spoil some bait I was dangling on another forum.

Regards,

Bellerophon