PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Schools around Stansted
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2003, 17:02
Lynx Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can also recommend Stapleford. I have just finished my CPL/IR there. The staff are very helpful and the instructors will go out of their way to help you (specifically starting early in the morning, finishing late and working through lunch).

The sim there is approved for 35 of your 50 IR hours. This is good and bad. Firstly, it means that most of your flying is not dependent on the weather. Also, although you will sit your test from Cranfield, every exercise you fly in the sim is from Cranfield, so you are very familiar with the procedures by the time you sit the test. Finally, on the plus side, it is cheaper than doing all of your flying in a real aircraft.

On the downside, it means that when you finish your IR, you will only have around 21 hours of multi time (6 from ME rating and 15 from IR). When stating your experience to prospective employers, they are much more interested in "real" aircraft hours than those in the sim.

However, I think that the benefits outweigh this negative. Overall, the standard of instruction is high, particularly on the IR course. The Head of Training also still flies 737s two days per week for a major airline so knows all current procedures and the Chief Sim Instructor has been flying for 60 years and used to be a CAA IR examiner.

Any further questions then send me a message.

Good luck.