PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - " How I Almost Destroyed a £50 million War Plane...'
Old 30th Jan 2016, 10:58
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fortissimo
Tourist, there are indeed some misunderstandings on here. You do not get -1g simply by rolling inverted. You have to remain in level flight to achieve that. But I don't have a monopoly on wisdom, so please feel free to give me the benefit of yours so I can rest easy as well.
Yes you do.
Simply rolling inverted gives you exactly -1g.

Doing anything else does not, i.e. not remaining in level flight.

I can make this easier for you if you want, but I thought the phrase "simply" was clear enough.

Here goes.

Roll inverted.
Don't do anything else.
Don't apply full left or right pedal.
Don't change the power setting.
Don't deploy speedbrakes.
Don't deploy flaps.

Just roll inverted and continue to maintain non accelerative flight with reference to the mean surface of the planet you are currently orbiting.

At this point the only acceleration you are experiencing is the acceleration due to the local gravity of the position you are in. This is generally considered to be a constant of approx. 9.81m/s2 on the surface of planet earth with obvious local variations for velocity of aircraft, position and height on planet earth and as affected by our orbit around the sun and the moons orbit around us.
We call this 1g, or in the event we are discussing, -1g due to the orientation of the aircraft

Personally I think my first statement covered the relevant facts and was more succinct.
If you want any more clarification, please get back to me.