PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of airline flying?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2016, 08:45
nmrn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Wiggy,

Yes actually after re-reading that I see it came across quite badly - sorry!

I was trying to say that we operate in two mediums - air and water, and sometimes with strange local phenomena I found it less prescriptive and more by 'feel'. Hence shiphandling courses are run with scale models in a lake rather than a computerised simulator (the few chaps that I have spoken to that have been in computer shiphandling sims report that the model did not behave realistically at all - I've never been in one). We don't have the benefit of ATC (our version, VTS is still quite a new concept and is still finding its way); and with the quirks of some ports it simply needs a harbour pilot with local knowledge to do the job safely. Still - at least if I stove it into the pier we can generally all walk away from it - unlike in aviation!

So what I was getting at was the differences not necessarily saying your job is easier - I've only flown light aircraft VFR!

Yep, see your walkaround point but I was driving at the actual maintenance work we do. Deck officers generally spend half their time in coveralls with spanners and screwdrivers. Maintaining Lifeboats, changing davit wires, overhauling sprinkler systems, changing hatch cover hydraulic lines, refurbishing anchor windlasses, - I think it's a bit broader in that respect.

It's a shame with all this post 9-11 stuff. I've jumpseated twice before that, in a 734 and a 744; both times were absolutely amazing and I wish I could do it again. Fond memories indeed!

All the best,

Richard