PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down off Pt Lonsdale
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2016, 08:33
Duck Pilot

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Without drawing conclusions as to the cause of this accident, I feel that Human Factors is one issue that is not really considered by Private Pilots, simply due to the fact that it's not a requirement to touch on during training for a PPL.

CASA spend a bucket load of money sending advisors around the country trying to educate pilots on subjects such as VFR flight into IMC, and these kind of accidents still happen very regularly. Maybe it's time that CASA look at a different approach, as the seminars are obviously having very little effect.

Single engine aircraft can now fly directly over Bass Strait, the rules changed about 20 years ago. It was once mandatory to track via the shortest distances in-between the islands on both sides of Bass Strait, however I believe that's now only advisory. Having said this I stand to be corrected, as it's been a long time since I've flown a single over Bass Strait.

Yesterday was a bad day for aviation, hopefully we can all learn from this terrible event. Condolences to all effected.

Last edited by Duck Pilot; 30th Jan 2016 at 21:20.