PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia Airlines grounds its 777'
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2016, 01:59
Giboman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an expat currently working and living in Malaysia. i'm a keen aviation enthusiast, hence my frequent visits to this site.

MAS have only themselves to blame for their operational difficulties. Since the rise of Air Asia, MAS were slow if not reluctant to change their pricing structure to be competitive. Air Asia effectively cornered the short haul market around 7 years ago.

I fly KUL to LHR several times a year, I would like to use MAS but their fares are way above that of the middle eastern operators unless booked 6 months in advance. MAS are now fighting back on short haul but it's probably too little too late.

The unfortunate incidents in 2014 have not deterred locals from using MAS, many are standing by their national carrier. I still use MAS whenever they are competitive, the service is as good as any other operator. Their Boeing fleet is ageing so it's not surprising the 777's are being axed as it's Bus fleet expands.

Out of interest... my neighbour was captaining 9M-MRO on the previous flight before it went missing. He has nothing but praise for Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah and believes if it was possible to save the aircraft this guy had the skills to do it! Ironically one of my colleagues sister was a pax on MH17.

Let's hope the industry focus on safer travel, reasonable prices and if we enjoy the flight.... that's a bonus!