PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 29th Jan 2016, 22:30
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now Lumps, Jaba et al, I'm not having a go at either of you and the engine operating methodologies you support. HOWEVER as mentioned in this thread, students should never just take stuff that is spoonfed to them by their instructors as gospel and do proper research, the same really can be said for LOP operation.

I'm sure you guys will agree that proper LOP needs proper engine monitoring, and properly balanced fuel injectors, not just a single EGT probe you'll find in the vast majority of GA pistons.

Now if some young (or not so young) impressionable person would read your research and then start operating a stock standard engine with 1970's era instrumentation against the owners and/or POH LOP, what are the possible consequences of doing this? Would you consider it safe if someone were to try this?

Having operated radials and a decent percentage of piston types that make up the GA fleet the most "modern" engine feature I've seen in 98% of these were fuel totalisers / digital fuel flow gauges.

Now again, I am by no means discounting the science, should I ever be silly enough to buy my own piston single/twin I will most certainly also invest in hardware that will allow me to safely operate LOP.

In the meantime I shall go back to monkey mode and push the levers on my PT6's and make sure I don't make the needles go over the line.