PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOI into the 2012 Tornado Collision over the Moray Firth
Old 29th Jan 2016, 21:56
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
MSOCS:-
How about we mourn lost friends, understand the nature of military flying, learn the lessons, invoke change that makes a difference (not just for change's sake) and try to be better at what we do?
I mourn the loss of the 3 that died on 3 Jul 2012, not because they were friends, I didn't have the honour of knowing any of them, but because they were fellow aviators whose deaths were unnecessary and avoidable. If they had died in combat then it would indeed be in
the nature of military flying
They didn't though, they were simply holding clear of the Tain Air Weapons Range awaiting clearance to enter. Neither knew the other was there because they were not told, and their aircraft were not fitted with TCAS. As to
learn the lessons
You will forgive me if I curl a churlish lip, having been assured of that by just about everybody after every tragedy that should not have happened. So,"Yeah, right!". Similarly with
invoke change that makes a difference (not just for change's sake)
Let me guess. Compulsory FAIs for Military Air Accidents in Scotland, fitting TCAS to all RAF FJs as an urgent priority, ensuring that the MAA and the MilAAIB be made independent of the MOD and of each other, would all be change for changes sake, right?
try to be better at what we do?
No! Try to be the best! We were once the world leader in Military Air Safety. What went wrong?