PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2016, 21:11
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh my!

No real arguments about offloading/downloading and LVC. It's where training is going. When you start using datalinks and longer-range weapons, realistic training with real systems working starts to need even more airspace, not to mention security issues, which get very difficult indeed. However, as MSOCS is pointing out, whether you can download enough training from a fighter to a trainer, or offload it to a sim, to compensate for a much higher CPFH is questionable.

Maybe the new RAM techs are carrier-rugged. I hope so. But I spent hours in the 1990s being reassured that the new super RAM on the F-22 was also tough and that the aircraft would require very little special treatment, so permit me to be skeptical.

And I haven't seen or heard a whole lot that's reliable about the F-22 fleet getting a new-generation RAM makeover. Very, very expensive proposition.

BTW I have wielded a pitchfork in my time, but only for moving hay around a loft. But then the farmer's daughter climbed up the ladder and [That's quite enough of that. - Ed.].