PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why not stabalise engines with brakes on?
Old 29th May 2001, 22:43
mutt

Hello Again,

I guess that we are going to win the award for going totally off topic

Legally we don’t have to account for line-up distances (FARS) and until recently we didn’t have the ability to do so. We did however shorten numerous runways where the crew knew that they couldn’t taxi on and line up at the start of the tarmac. But generally speaking on most runways, it didn’t happen, the distance used in line up was lost. I’m not saying that this is right, but there again neither is pretending that it doesn’t snow! (no contaminated runway regulations in the FAR’s)

You believe that the basis of takeoff calculations is flawed. They have slightly changed over the years with the introduction of VEF 1 second before V1, accounting for the aircraft acceleration during the reaction time and even accounting for worn brakes. If you still don’t agree that this is sufficient, what else would you introduce?

As for our policies on reduced thrust, as 411A has pointed out, these procedures were introduced when I was still a kid. At that time this company was under the control of TWA and basically followed all of their procedures. I don’t believe that they are that different from other operators, so lets start a quick survey. Does your airline use reduced thrust, if so what are the limitations?

John, to quickly answer your questions.

Airbus procedures, which also applies to some Boeing operators, use an optimized V-speed ratio for ALL takeoffs. This means that you are using improved climb in all cases and not just when it’s required. This in turn allows you to have a greater takeoff weight OR an even greater thrust reduction.

You believe that we shouldn’t set a Derate thrust below climb thrust. We don’t, but we do however use Derated climb thrust, but let’s not go into that

As for the 1000 feet pad, why 1000 feet, why not 1500? In other words, where do we draw the line?

Then there is the comment about not flying with us! Don’t worry about it; most of the employees only do it because it’s free!

I totally agree with you that Ops Engs should have flying experience, now if only I could convince our management that I should add a B777 type rating to my ATP.

Night all.

Mutt

[This message has been edited by mutt (edited 29 May 2001).]