PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:39
Lumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines

If you are one, please, at the minimum read John Deakins old Pelican Perch articles on AvWeb, or any of Jabawocky's posts concerning engine management right here on the prunes.

If you are thinking of sticking around in GA and potentially abusing many engines over many hours I strongly recommend the Advanced Pilot course. You will be on the right side of history.

If this does not pique your interest, make you question your shiny-shoed instructors advice and make you want to dig deeper on the subject...

If you rely on old wives tales to set your mixture, think that fuel cools an engine from evaporation, pull a Continental engine back to 25" after take off.... in short, if you cannot think for yourself and are not at all curious GO AND FLY TURBINES.

They are marvellous things that by now have engineered out the requirement for any sort of deep knowledge and understanding of what's going on under the cowl.

Piston engines are also marvellous creations, even more marvellous in the eyes of some because, in the higher powered examples, you have to THINK. You can break stuff (eventually) if you don't THINK. There are expensive consequences for not knowing stuff. Some derive some sort of satisfaction at a job well done in this regard. Others think that a CHT of 460°C is fine because the absolute limit is 500°C

Never thought I'd rant on pprune but there it is. Just had our pristine, factory new, pampered, GAMI'd, EDM'd 540 defiled by yet another victim of our collective ignorance.

Also never thought I'd use emoticons

Peace

"Pelican's Perch" Index - AVweb Features Article

Advanced Pilot

Yes, I am a follower of the Holy Trinity: George, John & Walter. They are shining light where there was darkness....