PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2016, 08:35
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nigel - my dear old loved one. Many moons ago pprune did this conversation to death. (dead mans curve).
I've carried out well in excess of 2500 autos of which 1500 were engine offs in a single, atleast half were in the 100 - 200' band, many were at low speed, some in excess of 100+ kts.
None were carried out knowingly inside the dead mans curve.
And the reason for that is the military actually pay attention to what the test pilots say when they devise these charts. We 'assume' they are paid to fly the a/c close to the edge and occasionally beyond. We even flew with them on occasion to further understand their reasoning.
Of course civvies don't get these experiences for obvious reasons. Test pilots don't grow on trees. Test pilots don't invent charts like this for a laugh.

This curve advises the operator of the helicopter that given an average pilot on an average day with average reactions in nil wind - should the donk stop, the odds are stacked against him/her and either the helicopter will strike the ground causing damage (heavy landing) and or everything in between up to killing the pilot. Statistics are littered with these results.

There are several operators out there who LIVE inside the HVC. I recall having a conversation with a vet from this industry offline - as a result of our online debate. He has spent most of his professional life living inside the curve. And he is still alive, god bless.

It's not to say that it is a forbidden - no-go zone. It's not to say it will kill you every time, it is suggesting that when the donk stops and the pilot is anything OTHER than sh*t hot - he/she will come a cropper.

Apart from the fact that if an aviation lawyer found out you were operating inside this zone when the lights went out - your claim might look shakey,
people like you must wake up and smell the coffee.

Just because you have flown inside the HVC dozens of times without a mishap, doesn't mean to say you are safe. You are not safe Nigelh please remember that and joking aside - have a long hard think about it when you have a quiet moment (and I know you will). Your bravado about your lightning quick reactions/second nature/instinctive actions will not prevent you from coming a cropper one day - believe me.

For all other civvies who don't court this chart or aren't familiar with the machinations of it. Take a long hard look at the curve - It's NOT mandatory, it is advisory (based on considerable test data and experimentation by people far more capable than you will ever be )look at your flying behaviour and compare. Do you often fly inside the curve (take off, landing and low level) or with just a small tweak to your flight path and speeds - do you fly just outside it.

The difference could mean avoiding a hefty insurance claim or worse still - killing your family if they are onboard when the donk stops and you happen to be inside the curve at the time. Dramatic enough for you!

And please, Nigel those of us who know you, know you are a very capable helicopter pilot - please bear in mind that when you speak on here - some actually listen, so let's cut the crap and provide solid feedback so they can learn from it.