PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill PPR
Thread: Biggin Hill PPR
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2016, 06:11
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree: I can understand why they need PPR, and think that the system they introduced was probably done in the way that they did it because they thought it would be efficient. From a pilot's perspective, at least, IMHO it isn't.

My home airport, Cambridge, introduced PPR for VFR flights a while ago to help them cope with ATC staffing issues and, despite a fair bit of criticism both here and on other fora, the system they introduced which requires a simple phone call direct to ATC works well.

As stated above: I think the new system at Biggin is probably intended to achieve this efficiently, but just doesn't work as envisaged. I have good reason to believe that it's not popular with a large proportion of the people at Biggin and can't imagine that it's a big hit with other pilots either.

Given the nature of Biggin's traffic, I would expect that a significant part of their traffic is IFR on a flight plan which circumvents the requirement for PPR anyway; so I don't think that workload is much of a reason for implementing the requirement for PPR it in the way that they have.

As a long term frequent user of Biggin (and I can't speak highly enough of the service I always get from them! ) I've written to the person responsible for the new system to suggest a rethink. If others here share my dislike of the new system, can I suggest that they do the same instead of, or in addition to , just commenting here?