PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 17:28
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, thank you for your kind words, but I fear I am but a humble rear-of-stage spear carrier compared to those like yourself bestriding this thread with effortless classical prose. Your invariable use of Latin tags to make your point has been an education for us all!

It is a great comfort to know that we are united in our response to the BBC offer that they hope we might feel unable to refuse. A mass picket of placard waving angry old men and women at Portland Place perhaps? We have nothing to lose but our Grecian Gray!

Walter, your post reminds us of the inordinate diversions that were required to get from A to B in WWII, particularly when B was in North Africa. Having been on the most meandering voyage to the Gold Coast, you then go Pan-Am First Class (for surely it must have been with sleeper accommodation, including pillows!) to the northeast.

Obviously the quinine prescribed at Takoradi did not provide the prophylactic effect desired. Perhaps if you'd started on the John Collins sooner and in larger amounts? Does anyone else remember the pint-sized barman in the Luqa Transit Mess in the 60s? His speciality was the John Collins, which he produced in a non-stop whirl so that production always met demand.

Malaria is of course a bad business and many went on suffering from its recurrence long after their service, including one of my own flying scholarship instructors on the Thruxton Jackaroo.

I recall that in Singapore we were recommended to purchase "Peaceful Sleep", a South African insect repellent to take with us on a Jungle Survival Course in the Malayan Jungle. It was well named, providing slumber in our parachute canopy hammocks not only for us but for the local insect life too. I fear now though it would fall foul of later Biological and Chemical Weapons Treaties.