PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 14:41
LlamaFarmer

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Arclite01
I was interviewed by the VGS CO when I asked to become a Staff Cadet.

I was never interviewed when I applied to go on the Gliding Scholarship (Remember those ?) - although I believe you had to be recommended for 'Advanced' before you could apply to be a Staff Cadet though (Thanks Mr Tapson )

My Squadron and Wing objected to my joining the VGS as I was on the Wing Shooting Team (.303 and .22). This was 'referred' to the Region Staff and I 'escaped' only because I was 18 and most shooting competitions had an upper age limit of 18 years for some reason. I still coached the Squadron shooting team but the VGS became my preferred 'location'

I believe that the 'screening' of candidates is something that should be undertaken by the GLO before the course is allocated IMHO.

Arc
I did my GS on Saturdays back in spring in the early 00s, maybe 02 or 03 on a Viking. Towards the end of it the Boss asked me if I was able to make it on Sundays too. Sure, more gliding, absolutely sir.

Became good friends with a lot of FSCs and staff whilst I was there. Expressed interest in staying on at the VGS once I'd finished to became an FSC. Made sure the senior FSC, DCFI, CFI and Boss all definitely knew I wanted to.

Did my solo, then never heard back.

A few months later was staying with a friend who was an FSC so they dragged me back down on the Saturday, and I became an FSC just by continuing to turn up... was never invited to become one, never interviewed or anything, just happened, no process.

Once I did I realised my squadron was only turning up maybe 1/2 the time they were down for GICs... turns out my squadron OC (who was a royal C*** with a capital C) couldn't be bothered to give up his weekend most of the time, so didn't bother telling the cadets of the opportunities.
Even when I was a 19 year old CGI (I left the ATC at 18), so was an adult staff member, he wouldn't let me take the cadets down for the day. I informed Wing HQ, as I was well known to a few of the Sqn Leaders and Wing Commander, they didn't even care, said there was nothing they could do. I read between the lines and took it to mean there was nothing they could be bothered to do.

Came across this a lot in the ATC, amongst numerous different squadrons. Far too many uniformed staff seemed to massage their ego and get any enjoyment only for themselves, not to give something back to the cadets.

Tis a shame.

Once I get my new base, I'll try and make it back to the local VGS, if things are back up and running by then. And even if it's not I'll let the Boss know that I'll be there when it is.