PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 13:23
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Devil

Ok ..i accept that low flying may be inside the curve !! Im not sure why , as i would say that engine failure at say 30- 60knots and 10ft was a very easy auto to pull off . I do however accept that a turn to check behind before a towering t/o would be my method !
And that's because you don't fully understand the definition of the dead mans curve Nigelh. How can a pilot call himself a professional pilot when he/she doesn't fully understand the dead man's curve??? I find this a common misconception with many civvy pilots.

Flying @ 20' 60kts in an MD500 would probably cartwheel an average joe and kill him. Reactions aren't fast enough.
In an R22 - 500' @ 30 kts will probably lead to a collision with the ground by the average abo if he/she doesnt react instinctively with the lever.

Having said that, to be fair, the definition states that the average pilot with average reactions suffering an engine failure inside the HVC will result in probable airframe damage at best, death at worst.
Even twin engine helicopters have HVC's.
Some scarey pilots out there....................................................