PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 10:47
Happy Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a (very) late starter and fortunately paid off my mortgage around the time I started out, but having worked for ATOs you do see a range of funding options. The big disadvantage of going down the integrated route is you will of course have to fund the c£100k training costs up front, something you will never do as a modular 'pay-as-you-fly' student. Type-rating costs are generally in addition to what you'll have paid to get a frozen ATPL. As for Integrated funding options, the most popular source is the 'bank of Mum & Dad' (who themselves often end up taking out a 2nd mortgage where the student isn't a homeowner), 2nd mortgages where the student IS a homeowner, inheritances and the like. As an integrated course is full-time, you're unable to work part-time to fund your flight training. The one or two finance house schemes that are available generally don't cover the full cost of an integrated programme. All these are valid reasons why the modular route is the most popular option if funding your training is likely to be a problem.
Hope this helps.

HW