PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 07:53
Thorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the transition from Vigilant to Viking will be far harder to achieve than the other way round. Furthermore, I would think that a great number of established Vigilant instructors would simply walk away rather than convert to the Viking. Many of the current vigilant sites are unsuited to Viking ops, so a wholly conventional air cadet gliding organisation is going to be severely reduced from pre-pause levels. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of staff returning is less than 25% of what it was. From that base, how long does it take to re-establish the organisation back to self sustaining levels. It would take several months to get a squadron back up and running, missing out on the productive summer months training. Another year without the throughput of cadets to become potential staff cadets. This means staffing remains tight for another year, etc, etc. To even begin to hope to achieve self-sustainment is probably going to be a 3-5 year endeavour, assuming the organisation broadly follows the same model as it did before the pause, albeit on a much reduced scale. IMHO a far better approach may be the creation of full-time fully staffed gliding centres, working much like the AT centres, The Joint Services Sailing Centre etc.