PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 01:17
Danny42C

Obiter dicta.

Chugalug,

I do not often venture outside my own playpen, but I must congratulate you, my first Mentor on this Thread, on your #61 on "Jet2, anyone ?" As an "Apologia pro vita sua" (and for the benefit of non-classicists, this does not mean "apology"), I have never seen it bettered - it is positively Ciceronian in its scope and logic !

I particularly like these snippets:
...So why this long self indulgent rambling?...
With respect, Sir, it is nothing of the sort !
...in order to counter any temptation I might possibly get to subsidise such cleverness by, as suggested by them, voluntarily forfeiting my soon to be granted status of free license holder...
Clearly the BBC is "on its uppers" (not surprisingly in view of the obscene salaries and pensions enjoyed by their Directors and "top brass"), and (unwilling to contemplate trimming these perks, or dispensing with the services of background Musak providers and fiddlers with ancient monuments), are casting envious eyes on the 75+ concession, and wishing it had never been granted (or been forced upon them by Government), but not daring to suggest its withdrawal, are now appealing to the better nature of the recipients to surrender it voluntarily. Not this child ! - and I urge my fellow greybeards to resist these blandishments. Bring back Lord Reith, say I (he'd sort 'em out !)
...Last edited by Chugalug2; 27th Jan 2016 at 10:46. Reason: Spieling..
That deserves to rank with the "deadful" (on these pages long ago), I can think of many a time I might have used that happy error ! (indeed, I'm spieling now).

Time to give up all those New Year Resolutions, (1st Feb), chaps. (You only live once).

Danny.