PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 00:19
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
class2ldn - I never seen any airline ask me for my math skills, yes you sometimes get tested for selection for BA etc., but this is rather the exception then the rule.

Of course you need to have a basic grasp of BASIC maths, but you certainly do not need to be a maths or science genius to pass ATPL's or become a pilot.

Another thing, nothing is certain that you get a job in your region of choice, your own country even, suddenly you need to start consider commuting, yes there are MANY jobs out there, for guys with some experience, but coming new into the business, well beggars cant be choosers!

I know guys getting their first job, 1500 Euros a month (£1150), increasing to 2500 Euros a month after around 2 years. Btw of this you have to pay UK tax if you still living / resident of the UK.

CTC is of course an option, not cheap, and you can never be sure what will happen by the time you finish your training, with £150.000 training debts, and no job offers except as I mentioned above. On top of the training with CTC, you will have to pay for your TR, as this is not normally included.

If you have this cash £150.000 stashed away somewhere, then I would say no problem, go for it, yet after this getting a job is still a lottery. I would say odds are around 30% of getting a job within 5 years after concluding training.

Modular will be slightly cheaper, I am not sure of exact figures, but I would guess if you start from Zero hours, incl. TR, you would probably need around £90.000 going Modular.

I would recommend doing modular over around 3 -4 years, enjoy flying, and see what happens. Instructing is not a bad option to keep you on top of things, it will not get you a job that easy anymore, but you will probably have loads of fun.