PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 21:23
Thorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the world has changed, and that whole being part of the operation doesn't have the appeal anymore. In fact, as a former VGS instructor, I flew many cadets who clearly did not want to be there at all, even the awe of flying did not hold any wonder. I would rather see the VGSs deliver gliding scholarships up to and beyond first solo, and scale back GICs and IGTs. If there were fewer scholarships available, and awarded to the most deserving, then there 'value' to the cadet would be far greater. The AEFs could be tasked to take on a greater proportion of the Experience flying.

As to Whether the organisation retains both Viking and Vigilant squadrons, It needs to be appreciated that the majority of Squadrons operate the vigilant, often for practical reasons. A wholly Viking organisation will result in a great loss of trained staff and fewer sites being able to operate. A move to fewer units will undoubtedly mean reduced tasking, but could also require increased manning - possibly even permanent staff.