PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN passengers killed in M56 accident
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2003, 08:49
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Whilst maybe not the right place to express his/her angst, I have some sympathy with 'dicks' comments.

I have had occurence to write to my local Chief Constable, and also the officer in charge of the counties traffic policing, w.r.t. the outrageous speeds that I see daily exhibited in / around the estate where I live ( i.e. this is an area heavily represented by young children, many of whom are often to be seen playing footie on the grass verges, and / or riding their kiddie bikes, etc, e.g. some are only 4 and 5 years old ), plus very elderly people, located, ironically, very close to the county Police HQ ).
However, far from concern about the serious risk, the response I got from both of these 'Public Servants' was very much in the tone of 'please keep your nose of of Police business'.

That said, if one goes down to a bridge which crosses the local dual carriageway, one can regularly find a Police camera vehicle taking photos of cars exceeding the speed limit - albeit that these vehicles are all going in the same direction and protected from opposite direction traffic by Armco barriers.

But what protection for the young children and parents who have to negotiate their way to/from the local primary school !

Uhm, so let me see, now which adds most to road safety..... pulling over speeding motorists in the environs of a childrens / primary school, or sitting on a dual carriage bridge taking speedtrap photos - or perhaps we should put it another way.... e.g. which is the best little earner in terms of revenue ?!

It's a fair cop - yeah, right !