PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 18:48
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Pure Gliding

CZ whilst not suggesting that motor Gliders do not have their place the simple truth is they do not 'involve' Cadets much with contact with the aircraft as per winch launching.This is an important facet of the Viking fleet as there is precious
little actual contact with aircraft nowadays in the Air Cadet organisation.
This may not be important to the regular staff but the chance to actually get involved with the whole operation by a keen youngster is one of the organisations greatest assets. I was lucky in so much that my first ever flight was in a glider which i was able to sit in wearing the uniform i had arrived in not burdened by a parachute and bone dome.Although the flights were short they also required multiple take offs and landings therefore were quite exciting for a 13yr old.When not actually flying we were 'helping' either at the launch end,recovering,or assisting down at the winch. All this activity was 'hands on' and was much more interesting than sitting around trussed up like a turkey.
The key word was 'involvement' and the winch launch gliding operation had no equal in this.