PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 17:37
StGermain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But as the Airport is the Eastleigh Borough second largest rate payer, I doubt that they would encourage the Airport to be sold for non Aviation use? I think that you have to ask yourself if the Airport is happy with the status quo. If passenger numbers grow significantly (+390k pax pa) then the level of investment needed to sustain that growth will be disproportionate to any increase in profitability, primarily because it will be the airlines (sorry Airline, Flybe!) that has to bear that cost and pass it on to their passengers. That, of course, will not happen. To be sustainable, SOU needs to settle around the 2.1m passengers pa. Increased throughput in GA traffic will help support the profitability at that figure, with short stop, high yield jet traffic that doesn't need too much handling space to make it work. For those of you that are expecting growth to 60k + movements pa, forget it. TCAS FAN has a very intelligent and well informed approach to just how sustainable SOU actually is, and summarises well the history of lost opportunities. I say, look forward and identify high yield opportunities that keep the business sustainable rather than a model that will require massive investment for a very uncertain future beyond 2.1mppa. Just sayin'