PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iMac
Thread: iMac
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 11:08
Background Noise

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have a fasthosts email account, set up as an IMAP account on several devices. A colleague using the same domain has his set up as POP. There is no additional charge for IMAP on any email service that I have.

Not quite - IMAP emails will be on your device in a similar way to POP emails, but they also remain on the server. From there they can be downloaded to other devices. They will appear as unread on all devices until read on any one, then they will appear as read on all devices.

Same for sending, sent mail will appear in the sent folder on all devices - there will be no notification on the other devices.

This is no problem for personal accounts, as you are likely to know what is going on. For a shared account, the other user will not know that a new message has been sent unless they check the sent box. And they may miss a new message if it has been read by the other party. In both cases though, you can mark the message as unread and that mark will appear in all of the other devices.

As for folder structure, you can have folders on one of your devices, and emails can be moved into appropriate folders, manually or via rules, but that structure will only appear on that device. I presume this is the way it works for you now using POP? Mail moved to a folder on one device will not be moved on another unless you do it manually or have the same rules on both machines?

I have my folder structure set up at server level, with rules to move messages into the right one as they arrive. That structure is replicated on all my devices. Not sure whether you can do that with fast hosts.

PS: I've sent you a PM

PPS: Only problem I have with Fasthosts is that I can't send mail using my ISP's server, so I have to cheat and use someone else's.

Last edited by Background Noise; 27th Jan 2016 at 11:34.