PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 10:55
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 28 and have started my ATPL theory, pretty much juggling my current full time career with studies. Even at my age I fear that airlines might look down on me, as by the time I finish, I'll be 30+. It's a very tough decision to make - society dictates I should put that money towards a property or investment. It's very difficult to explain a concept of spending tens of thousands of euros to gain an education with very little chance of work to any financially responsible person.

However I enjoy flying, I enjoy learning. I didn't start my PPL with a view of turning it into career, I just wanted to fly. But as soon as my training was done and winter weather arrived, I felt a big void. Probably during that year of PPL training I learned more about myself than I ever did. I don't really want to ask or know for that matter, am I too old? I will go and get that licence - without it, I will never know for sure. And in case if things don't work out, I'm sure a CPL/IR will make me a better pilot anyway. As long as I don't shut any doors behind me, I can always fall back on my current career and enjoy flying as a hobby.. ultimately I've never really regret things I have done, I only regret those which I don't