PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iMac
Thread: iMac
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 10:21
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The version of Outlook I am using comes with the Office 365 Home subscription pack for 5 PCs/Macs + 5 tablets. This is the 1 year new or renewal option and I believe as part of the package the version of Outlook is guaranteed to always be the latest.

My domain and email service provider is Fasthosts. I have always found them to be reliable and helpful when I have questions.

Given that my current set up works well, and if I really want to maintain my current folder structure which importantly is different on my 2 laptops in two different locations, then I think it would be best and simplest for me to transfer over my current Outlook email structure on my house laptop to the new iMac here at the house using a suitable program. (The second laptop is at our flat and is not used very often these days and can be left as is for the time being).

That seems sensible to me at this juncture - does the team agree - on balance?

But I would like to ask a few further questions about IMAP. I think I understand it now, in principle everything is held on the remote Fasthosts server.

So, would my local PC/Mac simply have a shortcut on the desktop to then go and open that remote email 'service' where I will see the entire folder structure etc?

if it's all being held on my service provider instead of locally I guess that's where the additional cost comes in - Fasthosts remote server storage space.

With regard to multiple devices having access to the remote email service. If computer A accesses the remote email and there is an email in the INBOX then I presume it would be highlighted. If I read that email then I presume it becomes de-highlighted as per the usual sort of thing. If I then go to computer B and access the remote email, does the 'system' realise it's a different computer and sort of re-highlight that same email on that computer's INBOX because the 'system' knows that that PC hasn't read that email yet?

If I compose and send an email from Computer A I know what I have done - I have composed and sent an email. If someone then logs into the remote email system on Computer B I appreciate the email will be in the sent box. But how does the user of Computer B know that I have composed and sent that email? Does he or she have to go to the sent box and have a look on the off chance, or more likely, the sent box on Computer B will highlight the unseen sent email in the sent box since the system knows that it was composed on another PC (Computer A)and the user on computer B should be made aware of that.

I hope the final question makes sense.

As I said earlier, if you're finding these questions tedious or tiresome do say and I will stop asking. I'm hoping that you're getting the same pleasure out of passing on your knowledge and suggestions as I am to receive them.