PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 09:35
Charlie_Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vigilant

In defence of the Vigilant motor glider, some consider powered flying to be more civilised than conventional gliding. That's a real attraction for potential volunteers with extensive civilian flying experience.

Advantages of the Vigilant:

(1) Cockpit heating
(2) Throttle lever
(3) VGS staff and cadets get to sit in warm caravan while sortie is underway - no muddy knees or cut fingers!

I can see some advantages of Vikings in terms of keeping cadets busy and involved, but over all I think Vigilants are more productive than Vikings when it comes to completing sorties. It's already been mentioned that the return to flying is likely to come with a drastic reduction in staff numbers. If Vigilants do go and squadrons are relocated/merged, then it'll be a shame. The ACO will lose a lot of highly qualified and experienced people. Let's not forget that CGIs are typically professional people in their day jobs. I know many who are PhD students, aeronautical engineers, PPLs, ATPLs etc. Will those CGIs become CIs when their local VGS is relocated? Not likely. I don't understand why QGIs and PPLs/CPLs/ATPLs can be trained to fly Tutors with their local AEF squadron. Powered flying should remain a part of the ATC experience.