PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 Lateral control/PIO
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 08:01
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
@Fursty, you may have misinterpreted my method.

The passengers will be unaware of the nudges, because each one is small and lasts less than a second. The FBW moves its datum fractionally in response to each input, and the flight is very smooth as a result. The point is not to hold the stick over unless you are picking up a big wing drop or similar, and even then, don't hold it over after it has started responding.

The way you hold the stick is a red herring - it is what you do with it that is important (if you will pardon the phrase !!)

I was told to hold it only at the top / hold it only at the base / hold it with two fingers / pretend it's a docker's dick and don't touch it, etc., etc., but nothing worked until I taught myself how to operate with the FBW effectively.

I hold the stick like a pistol grip, which gives me maximum control and feel, and enables me to make very quick inputs, but the really important thing is to make frequent small corrections, and keep returning the stick to neutral in between each one.

As Hikoushi implies, with practice, you will become even smoother on the sidestick.

I have been flying Airbus - including the 330 - for 11 years, and this method most certainly works