PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 19:08
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I think also needs to be included in this debate, but I don't have an ideal answer, is the characteristics of the modern airline pilot. Before we become mired in the very futuristic assumptions of what an airliner flight deck might look like and entail, let's look closer the present. One problem I see is the very diverse culture in airlines. Some still encourage and expect good stick & rudder skills. Some quite the opposite and have a 'trained monkey' attitude. I've worked and trained in both and the latter made me squirm. This demonstrated that there is not a common characteristic of an airline pilot; even if the pax want there to be when the chips are down.
Thinking back to my days of needles & dials and Heath Robinson automatics I reflect on the aptitude tests necessary to become a pilot. I went through the RAF & BA's selection process, and passed both: very similar when it came to hand eye coordination and multi tasking. The legacy carriers, overall, wanted uni'-graduates of maths & science education. They wanted team players & leaders and strong personalities. (And it seems they still do, but then treat you like little Johnnies when you are in.) The RAF wanted uni-graduates for officer college, but the characteristics were similar. Both wanted hotshots who were sharp cookies. Indeed the job in 70's with embryonic jets and very basic ATC environment required the opposite of trained monkeys. The captain really needed to be the guy on the spot in charge.
Nowadays the ability to pay is quite a major requirement by the airlines and I wonder at the aptitude tests necessary for selection before flight school; or is that also ability to pay, I suspect so.
Now, in this modern flight deck and looking further forward, I question if the best characteristics of an airline pilot have been re-thought. I still see legacy airline application forms stating just what type of person they are seeking. IMHO they are all over qualified for the monitoring role that 99.9% of their life will entail. OK, the long-haul captain really is a manager in the sky. Ultimately, when the pursuer needs help or a decision, then the 4 striper will be called upon and carry the responsibility. Any captain has to contend with Wx problems, fuel problems etc. etc. I'm not sure a university degree will help more than those who have just sound common sense.
Simply this; if the flight deck is going to change so much towards automation, cabin crew are more highly trained to solve the everyday problems, ATC and airports are more hi-tech, sat' phones can connect you to Ops who make commercial decisions, etc. etc., are the basic characteristics & qualities demanded by many airlines appropriate for the job now & in 30 years time?
Without considering this we can end up with 'the wrong stuff' in charge.