PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA LINE STATIONS
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 17:45
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main reason for TUPE as I understand it, is to protect employment, terms and conditions.

Engineers and technicians are a valuable asset and not easily replaceable regardless of what the "change managers" try to have you believe.

Could any other airline or MRO take on BA at LGW today; no. Could any other airline or MRO take on BA at LGW with a TUPE transfer; yes. Would any other airline or MRO want to do that; what is in it for them?

My view on when BA outsourced ground handling to Swissport, was that Swissport did not want to take on the wage bill of a TUPE. So BA had to make the offer so good to take VR that the majority would take is and go, allowing Swissport to recruit on their T&C's.

I am aware the BA engineering pay scales, some grades are well paid, but work to full scope (unlike other companies that I know), and other grades are some way behind (but not as much as some think).

It would appear that BA are not that interested in their product or brand at LGW, they just want to be able to budget to a fixed cost, with all the risk going to the outsourced supplier. Volatility in cost is what all PLC's hate.

I do not know the detail of the LGW/LHR move last time and whether there was a choice, so can you explain?

Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble, but there is not much to work on yet.