PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 Lateral control/PIO
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:50
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Hold the stick with three fingers. Gripping the stick tightly will almost certainly end in tears.

- Make sure the armrest is at the right height. For me, this is vitally important and probably overlooked. Half a spin on height / angle wheels can be the difference between smooth and jerky flight. If you can get in the sim by yourself for 20 minutes, experiment with the settings. Your forearm *must* be resting on the armrest.

Sim specific stuff: it's supposed to be a collimated display but if you move your head the perspective will change slightly. I can never land on the centre-line in the sim but keeping my head still helps.

Some people advise the "nudge-release" method of sidestick handling. I disagree based on passenger comfort since they'll be throwing up after more than a minute or two of this kind of flying. Smooth and progressive inputs and release them gently, too.

If you've come off a Boeing type you're probably used to applying fairly large and fast roll inputs at low level. This doesn't work on the Airbus.