PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iMac
Thread: iMac
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:22
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A further post since the post above mine mentions staying away from Outlook. I use Outlook on my windows machine as it 'fitted the bill' at the time.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to have a small flat in London as well as a modest house elsewhere and we are not always together at the same time, in the same place. We wanted to be able to share emails as appropriate. In the end I adopted the following solution.

I registered our own website domain (at modest cost) - let's call it www.2016.com. The service provider allows us to have 10 email addresses so I set up: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and lets say [email protected].

On the laptop at home I set up Outlook to send and receive to [email protected] and [email protected] only. At the flat I set up Outlook to do the same for [email protected] and [email protected], for my wife's mobile I set it up to send/receive to [email protected] only.

So you will deduce that no matter where we are, email sent to the address [email protected] is sent/received at both the house and the flat because I set Outlook up not to delete emails from the 2016.com mail server so that downloading to one physical destination still makes the email available at the second physical destination. If, for example, I'm sat at home and some email for my wife comes in to [email protected] that should really go to my wife's mobile then I simply just forward it to [email protected]. I hope you can see that this gives us a lot of flexibility and this set up has worked well for us for many years.

I am hoping to be able to set up the same sort of arrangement using Outlook on the Mac - am I set to be disappointed?

On the other hand, I was sort of hoping that when we buy some sort of additional ipad or other Apple device to replace both windows laptops, that I could set something up on both the iMac and iPad to keep their emails in sync anyway. I would need to keep the www.2016.com domain because that's the root email address we give out to everyone and have done so for the last goodness knows how many years.

I hope no-one minds me asking these sorts of questions here? The advice given is giving me some useful pointers as to where to go before I set off down the wrong path. I would not like to disappoint Mrs yellowtriumph if I can.