PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steenson's Lightning exploits anyone?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 09:30
aden30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XR711 (Alpha 111 Sqn) piloted by Eric Steenson

Much has been written about this incident, along with many theories and supposition. I was working on the line at the time of this incident, and performed the last turn round on this particular aircraft (XR711). I was the last of the ground crew to have any contact with it before the events which befell it.

There was a 3 ship take off as a last sortie on the Friday afternoon. One of the reheats on 711 had been disabled due to a fault, but an entry was made in the limitations log and it was allowed to be used for one last sortie before shut down at the week end.

The first 2 aircraft made it away safely, whilst 711 which was underpowered due to a disabled reheat, sank back onto the runway. It looked quite spectacular as it hurtled down the runway in a ball of flame towards the barrier. It engaged the barrier at something just under take off speed. I was detailed by my NCO to get down to the end of the runway and bring back Flt Lt Steenson.

As I jumped into the Landrover, another pilot who was leaving the line hut, and had watched the drama unfold, tossed me a toilet roll with the instruction to pass it to Mr Steenson. When I arrived at the end of the runway, the aircraft had taken the barrier about 30 yards into a ploughed field, effectively snapping of a wooden approach light pole (like a matchstick), with the starboard leading edge. The barrier had torn into the spine of the aircraft and embedded itself into the leading edge of the fin.

There was the sound of hot tinkling metal. Mr Steenson exited the aircraft and I looked into the cockpit to ensure things were safe as the Fire Section hosed down and prevented a fuel fire. There were some crazy things happening with the gauges and instruments in the cockpit.

All was isolated and made safe. It took us 9 hours to recover the aeroplane, and it was taken to the "death" hangar" where it stood for around 3 months. The aircraft was a Cat5 (write off) and was cannibalised for usable non critical spares, before being placed on the burning area at RAF Wattisham for fire fighting practice. It was replaced by XR713 (A), which has just been transported and reassembled at Bruntingthorpe, and is the only remaining complete F3 airframe in the world.