PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restarting PPL - in own 182?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 08:33
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk about the C182. It was designed to be flown by an average PPL; in fact the exact same PPL that the C172 was designed for. Yes it had a wobbly prop and cowl flaps. So what? With good instruction their operation can be blended into standard lessons. It's advantage is that it can get up to a reasonable level very quickly, performance operations can be taught well and cross countries can be exactly that. And while we are talking about speed, just what exactly is its stall speed? At max. landing weight and full flap I come up with 49 kts. This gives a basic approach speed of 55 kts. With an increment for wind an approach speed of 65 kts is probably quite appropriate so it will fit in with every other aircraft.

As for its utility, it is better than a C172 which is also a very useful aircraft. The extra punch of the C182 makes everything a just a little bit easier. But I have to put in a little negativity. You will gave to find a local engineer you can trust, preferably one on site. Because if you get a problem you will initially need on-site support if for no other reason that you'll be learning about operating and maintaining your aircraft as you go along - but as a newbie!

Regarding an I/R may I suggest getting a bit of time in the thing before you ditch the (visible) outside world. Get to enjoy your aircraft and what it can do for you. Consolidate your flying so its operating your aircraft is second nature. Then, and only then, start your I/R.

Lastly, learn to fly without a wretched iPad, iPhone, GPS and similar devices. Have the basics down pat. Get a feel for DR, speed, heading, time etc. Then your I/R will be so much simpler. You will be able to point the thing off somewhere and KNOW where you are. You will be able to free your brain from the rubbish generated by such devices and concentrate on the important stuff, like where you are going to be in a short while and what you are going to do when you get there.

Buy the C182 and enjoy it.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 26th Jan 2016 at 21:53.