PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Training.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2016, 06:12
Mickey Kaye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach Jump

I simply don't think you will find one - The regulations have killed it.

The flying school at Breighton used to have access to a chipmunk at 100 pounds an hour dry.

Unfortunately the owner got sick of six thousand pound annuals and replacement batteries costing 900 quid. Although the engine had only done 600 hours it was getting close to running out of years and with a quote of 24 thousand pounds to rebuild a gypsy the owner decided to move it to a permit. The aircraft has no doubt gone up in value because of this as well.

Perhaps the most annoying thing about this is the owner does no maintenance on it himself and is still maintained by the same maintenance company but its now costing him a lot less. But the end result is it can no longer be used for training.

The school did look at getting a Tecnam P96 taildragger but unfortunately this aircraft can't be used for instruction in the UK.

I think the only hope lies with the ANO review next year. If that allows flying schools to buy and then use permit aircraft even if its not for ab initio training then there may be hope. If not I think the industry will continue to spiral downwards.

Last edited by Mickey Kaye; 26th Jan 2016 at 07:19.