PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill PPR
Thread: Biggin Hill PPR
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 21:32
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that one of the main reasons for the implementation of this new system was for Biggin to actually know who their customers were. It seems that they wanted to keep a record as to whom, what, where and when. In addition to the growing number of private jet traffic coming in / out of Biggin, and them needing to get controllers to have a better picture of workload / peak times.

I frequently have to wait 15+minutes with the engine running, waiting to take off (behind 3 others) at Alpha 1 for runway 21, whilst I see 3/4 jets and a couple of GA in the circuit to come round. So in that respect I do believe that it makes sense, I would gladly have traded a cup of tea in the clubhouse for those tacho hours wasting fuel.

HOWEVER, for this system to work, and for me as a user to benefit from it, "potentially" saving me a few £s per flight. The hassle that this system brings to all its users, such as requiring a minimum of 30minutes notice, inbound and outbound. Having to log into a system from remote airfields that I may not get any internet (or even sometimes signal) at, or even cost me a bob or two to get any internet (ie Europe), the fact that when I do want to go, there may well not be anyone, but when the system actually processes my request, it could be peak time... does make me wonder if it is just a sly way of telling us all to find another airfield.

Generally - I have never really understood PPR. I understand the requirement of familiarity with the airfield, and reading up / checking charts / check weather & runway in use etc... But I don't understand why specifically in England (where let's be honest plans change VERY frequently due to weather) so many airfields want PPR. I think I cancelled (in flight) at least 4/5 trips to the Isle of Wight in the last 12 months when reaching the coast (when I don't see the IoW from Hayling, I don't go, even if when I left they told me they had bright sunshine). So the PPR was effectively useless for Sandown, wasting their time and my time. Do they seriously ever have enough people coming in that they require to know in advance? (i love the people who work there so please don't take it the wrong way, its a lovely place, love the cafe, it is just an example out of 99% of airfields I have been to in the UK).

France seems to do pretty well without any PPR at most of their airfields... (some big ones too) Although I will often call ahead, many respond a little baffled by my call, and just give me the frequency to call x miles away. Why do we in England need so many complications and regulations to an otherwise easy trip from A to B?